The Half--13.1

I have been meaning to blog about my half marathon for over a week now, but I really had to wait until I had a better attitude about the dang thing! :) Lets put it this way... I woke up feeling shaky and had a stomach ache, (not to mention Mother Nature decided it was the right time of the month for me the night before). Is that TMI? I feel like only women read blogs so it really isnt that big of a deal. Anywho.. so I didn't feel great, but i was excited to get going.

Miles 1-3 were pretty flat and I felt a little better. Miles 3-6 were primarily downhill.. Mom, Andrea, Nic and I cruised. We were averaging 8:20 ish miles-- which is fast for me-- and then we hit the 7 mile mark. BOY did I get sick. I decided I needed to use the port a potty.. and once we got there, it was already occupied. Not wanting to have to wait and slow my time down, I kept going. For 4 more miles I kept saying I needed to stop and never did.. DUMB. Finally around mile 11 I stopped and tried to feel better.. but to no avail. I felt bloated, not to mention I was cramping (lady cramping), and I was dehydrated cuz the water at the water stations tasted like straight acid. Ha! So off I went trying to run again. Then it hit me.. my legs were cramping! In all my years of playing sports I had never cramped like that. Like the jolting "oh my gosh i can't move' cramping. So yeah that was awesome too.

I will be honest.. I broke down and was a crying mess at a few parts of the race. Honestly I was disappointed because my 11 mile run the week before had gone fantastic! I felt so great, kept a good pace, and wasn't too tired when I finished. So when I felt so crappy during the race, I was really getting down on myself. If it weren't for my cute sister in law Andrea, and my momma I would have never gotten to the finish line.

BUT! Let me tell you. When I finally did get there.. it was the best feeling ever. Mostly I was just happy it was over! But now a few weeks later I can look back and say that I am so proud of myself for doing something so out of my comfort zone. I still hate running, but after a week off I really am excited to get training again. It is weird to me that I am missing it. Thank you for all the kind comments, texts, and posts! You guys are all soo great.

Liana! Thank you for the sweet tip about running in my clothes before.. I would have never thought of that! and I am now using the schedule you suggested to train for the full. You are a gem and I am so excited to get to know you better!
Andrea. Me. Mom
momma and myself. She is my hero.
My favorite fan :)  Love that boy
Don't let that smile fool you.
I had no idea my blisters were going to be so bad. I guess it really is time for new running shoes.!

2 comments

  1. ahhh thanks for the shout out!!! congrats on your first half! so sorry you felt so crappy the whole time... and using the potties during a race is THE worst! good luck on your full marathon!! Maybe you can send some motivation my way! ps. my blog is on BlogSpot... I'm not a pro, so hopefully that helps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice job girl! i knew you could do it. it's 70% mental and 30% physical, right? congrats!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!